This is a trail to the higher peaks of Rwenzori mountains. the trek goes through Nyakalengija gate on the central circuit trail. the central circuit trail is the oldest and most popular of the all the trails on Rwenzori mountains. the trek takes you up to Margarita Peak on Mt. Stanley, 5.109 m. above seas level. For those interested in doing the central circuit without margarita, the highest point you will reach is 4.023m above seas level at Kitandara camp
Rwenzori trekking can be the most challenging of all the three east African mountains (kilimanjaro and Kenya) Thanks to the great infrastructural improvement and skills of the local porters and guides, the mountains is much easier to climb than it has been in the past years. for those trekking the snow peaks including margarita, special climbing equipment will be required. the central circuit requires ordinary climbing equipment. in each e-case we will share a packing list to help you pack properly. On the trip, we take all foods, supplies, equipment. These will be included in the trip cost.
Day 1: Arrival at Entebbe airport and be picked to transfer to Kampala for dinner and overnight. (BB)
Day 2: Transfer to the Rwenzoris: Arrive to the base camp today. Depending on your past trip activities, you will be picked from Queen Elizabeth national park, Kasese town or received at the base camp. Dinner and overnight (BB)
Day 3: Nyakalengija – Nyabitaba camp 2632 m: First trekking day after a briefing with the local porters and guides you will move from 1646 meters above sea level to Nyabitaba camp at 2632 m Dinner and overnight at the camp. (5hrs) Mountain camp or Hut (FB)
Day 4: Nyabitaba-John Mathe camp 3414 m: Leave Nyabitaba and take the central circuit loop anticlockwise. The trail leads to the crossing point of rivers Mubuku and Bujuku, difficult to pass in the past but easy today thanks to a bridge. After a slippery and difficult path you will reach Nyamuleju hat at 3000 meters a simple shelter among rocks. It’s better to hike for other 3 hours and reach John Matte camp at 3414 meters and spend the night. (7 hrs) Mountain camp or Hut (FB)
Day 5: John Mathe – Bujuku camp 3962m: The third trekking day will lead you to Bujuku camp after 5 hours of hiking passing through the Bigo bog where there is an old shelter. Bujuku camp is located at 3962 meters near the Bujuku Lake in a valley among 3 mountains: Mt Stanley, Mt Baker and Mt Speke. (5hrs) Mountain camp or Hut (FB)
Day 6: Bujuku to kitandara camp, 4.023 m. After you descend to Upper Kitandara Lake and through thick mud to Lower Kitandara lake where is located Kitandara camp. From Kitandara camp you can proceed for climbing Mount Baker or Mount Luigi di Savoia and the peak Vittorio Sella. Enjoy the view of Mt. Luigi di Savoia (3hrs) Mountain camp or Hut (FB)
Day 7: Kitandara Hat to Guy Yeoman camp, 3.261 m. Some people consider the fifth trekking day as hard as the second! After crossing Fresh Field pass head for the Guy Yeoman camp at 3261 meters. In case of fog or bad weather it could be hard to follow the trail and remember that the last part is full of bogs. Before Guy Yeoman hat there are other two shelters: Bujongolo and Kaijongo. Bujongolo is well known for having been the base camp of Luigi di Savoia, Duke of Abruzzi who conquered and fully explored the Rwenzori in 1906. (6 hrs) Mountain camp or Hut (FB)
Day 8: Guyeoman – Nyabitaba camp 2632 m: The sixth trekking day on Rwenzori is dedicated to descend to the camp of Nyabitaba. On the descent there are some tricky points since the terrain is often slippery and boggy. After Kichunchu rock the trail will become easier passing through bamboo forests interesting to many birdwatchers. (5-6 hrs) Mountain camp or Hut (FB)
Day 9: Nyabitaba – Base camp/ Nyakalengija: The seventh trekking day return to the Rwenzori National Park headquarters Ruboni community base camp. After a well-earned rest with the entire trekking group, porters and guides we go to for diner and overnight. (3hrs) (BB)
Day 10: Nyakalengijo/ Base camp – Kampala: Today travel back to Kampala for dinner and overnight. Options include stopping to take scenic pictures on the way, the city walking tour, the Ndere cultural dance night (on selected days) or handicrafts shopping. (BB)
Day 11: transfer to the airport for your flight.
- Bed & breakfast accommodation for nights in Kampala and at the base camp.
- Experienced English speaking mountain guide
- Park entrance fees and park ranger fees
- Full board accommodation on the mountain camps (camping or huts)
- All charges and taxes on park activities done
- Mountain porters and guide
- Private transport to and from the base camp
- Airport pickup and transfer
- Energy (gas or charcoal on the mountains)
- Private chef /catering equipment /Tent-(camping option)
- Visa fees (if required) requires online application and prior approval (EA visa at 100$)
- All bar drinks and extras at the hotels
- Insurance cover.
- Air ticket
- All Optional Activities and activities of personal interest not on the itinerary
- Technical climbing equipment
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat
Meal plan Key:
- FB= Full board (three meals per day)
- BB= bed and breakfast, (sleeping and breakfast only)
- The prices are based on guests sharing (2 per room /tent). Single supplement fee will be charged if guests choose to use separate rooms/ tents.
- For those interested in Margarita or any other peak climbing, we add one day. (We will send the required costs on request)
- High alpine insurance is highly recommended. If interested, please buy it before arrival and present the policy at the beginning of the trek.